
I don't know about the rest of the world, but I love little goals and projects and visual reminders of said goals. Especially when it comes to saving money. I was the geeky little kid with paper thermometers for every big purchase I wanted to make and I find myself as an adult in major money-saving mode.
With the wedding coming up next year and increasingly expensive, I want to save some cash in addition to what my parents are providing so we can have everything we want...not to mention a kick-ass honeymoon. And I don't want to ask Mike to help (disagree if you'd like) because he just spent the last several months of his life living on nothing to buy me a beautiful ring. In addition, I also need to begin saving for a car (when I am done saving what I think is a reasonable amount for the wedding), as I will eventually leave SF and I'm guessing when I move elsewhere I'll need a vehicle. :)
I decided I needed a visual reminder of my goal and in lieu of telling my co-workers and roommate exactly how much money I have and need to save via paper thermometer, I went looking for an iPhone app to help.
The Savings Goal app does exactly what I need it to do: shows me how much I've saved and what dollar amount and percentage I have left to go. A pretty basic tool, but great for me. When I get bonus checks at work, those are easy...straight to savings. But for smaller amounts ($20 found in the pocket of a pair of jeans, $43 from gloves returned to North Face store, $12 from turning in change to the bank, $68 in dividends from Malone Enterprises (don't ask)), this thing really helps me because I want to keep nudging that needle up a few percentage points at a time.
The only drawback is that it only lets you save for one thing at a time. But I suppose that's the best way for me anyhow: prioritize my purchases, and save for the most important first then go on down the line. Anyway, a great tool I just wanted to share. Have a fabulous Friday and an awesome weekend!
2 comments:
can you start one for me to "save for an iphone" haha! i can't use it if i dont' have it..dang it! :( stupid greece trips always getting in the way LOL! love this though!
Ha ha, Brandi, I was just thinking the same thing. My darn house is taking all our funds.
Post a Comment