Wednesday, January 11, 2012

So long, farewell

Happy 2012 to you all! In case it isn't obvious, things have been hectic for Mike and me lately but in the best way. After amazing trips this fall to Mendocino and Yosemite (two things on my west coast to-do list), we both quit our jobs, Mike in early October and me on Halloween. We have spent the last several months traveling, spending quality time with family and enjoying being newlyweds. I have loved waking up every day with little to no agenda and drinking coffee with my husband while we watch HGTV. Because I started this blog to chronicle my time in San Francisco, it will be closing down soon. I'm firing up a new one that hopefully I will post on more often :) and that will chronicle our time settling back into our home in Birmingham, including several house projects, my adventures in working from home and just our lives in general as they unfold.

The time has now come for us to head back to the state that still holds my little heart. We officially drive off in a 16 foot moving truck on Monday, January 16. As you can imagine, thinking about that leaves me with a mix of emotions. I left Alabama in April 2008, nearly four years ago. I got here and immediately felt at home...there were interesting mid-twenties and early-thirties folks everywhere and I felt completely NORMAL not being married. I grew up all over again in a lot of ways. I had my heart broken. I lost my job. I made new friends, a few of whom will be in my life forever. I saw my sister in Vegas more than I ever would have in Alabama. I formed friendships with people whose background and beliefs could not be more different from my own. I am finally really comfortable with who I am and what I bring to the table and I am much more keenly aware of areas that need additional honing, shall we say. And while all of this work was going on, God brought me the most precious man I've ever known.

All of a sudden my days of staying out late, keeping up with the latest news in the tech world and acquiring new facebook friends gave way to quiet dinners with someone who showed me patience, kindness, unrelenting forgiveness and examples of God's unconditional love in ways I certainly don't deserve. And I realized that I didn't feel so comfortable here anymore. It was time for me to get back to a slower way of life and most importantly, back to my family and friends who had been there for me throughout these past several years.

So...here we are. I am leaving a city I love, a church I love and countless memories, mostly good. But I am going back to a house that has my own blood, sweat and tears in it. A city where I am being welcomed back by people who loved me even before I did some growing up. I am going home. <3

5 comments:

Sarah ::Heart Deco:: said...

This brought tears to my eyes. We have missed you more than you know, but so happy that you got to experience what you did. And if a move across the country brought you to Mike, then it was all worth it. Can't wait to have you back in the Ham. Love you boo!

Sara Singleton said...

Yay! Although not down the street you will be relatively so close to me :)

You have had so many things that impacted you in Cali, I'm sure you will continue to learn and appreciate them back in the Ham.

Lots of love,
Say-ruh

Alaina said...

You've made me very homesick! I hope one day I can move back "home" too!

Bendabl said...

Awww...well your blog was inspiration for me in many ways and while I'm kinda sad it'll be changing. I'm ecstatic that you'll be so close and that you're married to your bestie! I can only pray one day your inspiring self will equal another success story via me and my move. Ahh...life ain't it grand! Have a safe trip!!!!

Keelie said...

Four years....it's crazy to think it's been that long and in so many respects, it feels even further away. As you and Mike move your life from California, I will be moving my career from Intermark. Please keep in touch. I can't wait to see your new blog!