Wednesday, November 11, 2009

This Christmas

I want to clarify up front that I'm not writing this post because I'm really proud of Mike and me or anything else self-promoting, or because I think gifts are "bad" . I just want to share what we're doing because, like us, I think many people struggle with gift-giving ideas, primarily because we are all SO blessed. It starts to get hard to figure out something that your significant other doesn't have, and downright impossible to think of something that they "need"! And, like us, I think many people struggle with clutter. I know that in my apartment, I have much less storage (understatement of the year) than I have ever had before, so I have to think pretty carefully about what I bring in here and if I'll have a place to put it.

So, all that being said, for Christmas this year we are going to eat dinner at a nice restaurant together that we normally wouldn't go to, and we are going to sponsor a child through Amazima Ministries International (see badge at the right of my page...btw how do you add a hyperlink to a blog? Not just a www but a hyperlink. I know it can be done because I see it from time to time. Anyone know? Anyone? I would be forever grateful!). For $300, a child in Uganda gets the following provided for ONE FULL YEAR: tuition to school (as almost all schools there are private and families cannot afford the fees), a uniform, socks and shoes, two hot meals per day, school supplies and any minor medical care. (Side note, if you don't read www.kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com you are missing out!).

Anyway, I just want to share our plan in case any of you are struggling with gift ideas. I know it's not the sexiest or most romantic present out there, but it's easy, meaningful and clutter-free. MERRY EARLY CHRISTMAS!!!

1 comment:

joyh said...

LOVE it :) So cool to know that your Christmas gift will have an impact for eternity and will further the Kingdom :)
As for how to add a link on your blog, I wish I could help. I'm an idiot in the blogging department. Sorry.