Thursday, March 25, 2010

I got engaged...in a Janis Joplin t-shirt




In case inquiring minds are wondering about our engagement, I thought I'd throw you a bone (and ring photos) via blog since I am literally consumed by work at the moment.

Tuesday night I headed over to Mike's after a long day, presumably to eat some chicken he was going to cook on his new grill. He told me to text on my way so he could get the grill lit. I show up, call up to his apartment, and he buzzes me right in, which is suspect, as he usually says something ridiculous or makes me tell him what the password is ("balls" in case you were wondering. It makes him giggle to have me saying "balls" into the call box out in the street. Sad but true.) But, I figure he's grilling. Then I open the door and am hit by a wall of heat. And that's when I see the 100+ candles, the flowers on the table and two champagne glasses. Fairly shortly after, I proceed to cover my face and cry and tell him he didn't even let me dress up. Yep, that's what came out of my mouth. But y'all, I was wearing dirty old jeans, I mean 5-year-old Joe's jeans that are in awful shape, a Janis Joplin t-shirt and flip flops. Oh, and I hadn't showered since Monday morning, so I was creeping up on 48 hours of dirty hair. He said the nice stuff and kept having to pull my hands off of my face...I think I was overwhelmed and a little scared and shocked and kind of embarrassed for him to have to be giving the nice speech. :)

Anyway, that's all she wrote! I said yes, after a while I decided I'd like to see my ring and it's something that is so beautiful I know I will treasure it for the rest of my life. After the calls to the parents and a couple of other people, we had an AMAZING dinner. Baked cambozola cheese on flatbread with roasted garlic and sundried tomato paste, filet mignon, some kind of Rachael Ray broccoli that was incredible and homemade mashed potatoes that he had made the day before to make sure he had time. (Side note: my planner of a fiance lit every. single. candle. the night before to make sure the wax was burned off the wick and he could light them quickly on Tuesday. HA!)

So, now I'm engaged. I shamelessly got my nails done and then marched into Walgreens and plopped two gigantic wedding magazines on the counter without feeling weird about it at all! I tried to buy one at an airport awhile back and felt like a douche since I wasn't engaged. I ended up flipping through it really quickly on the plane then throwing it away so Mike wouldn't find it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you for the sweet texts, voicemails, emails facebook posts, facebook messages, flowers and engagement party (Sabrina, you ROCK). I have never felt so loved and so happy in my life. We will be getting married next spring somewhere here in the Bay Area, possibly wine country possibly the beach. Start banking your $$ and vacation days for an amazing trip! I love you all!!!! xoxo

8 comments:

The Patterson Family said...

Congrats, Liz!! So happy for you!

Jeanna said...

Please tell me you have a picture of you and Mike showing your Janis tee!!!:) I'm so super duper excited for you and wish I could see you right now and give you one of those hugs where we're so excited to see each other that we both go in for a hug so full force so we almost bounce off each other and fall backward!!! I

Bendabl said...

i mean i literally can't believe that i just read that on your blog...i've read so many things over the past years on your blog and it kinda sent me over the edge with all kinds of emotions reading that...on here...like happy dance/holy cow/i should be crying/WTF/Holla!!!!! it was just a fabulously strange reality! haha! (no i haven't been drinking but i should be I've had such a crazy week, it's made me go crazy! haha!) love you!!! so glad i got to hear about it ASAP! :)

Sara Singleton said...

I'm with Jeanna. where is a pic of you two with your tshirt!? :)

The King's said...

best wishes elizabeth!!!

Sarah ::Heart Deco:: said...

I love love love the story! I especially love the part about you saying "balls" on the street. It is a sad reflection of myself that I laughed incredibly hard at that. Make sure you don't leave that part out when you are re-telling this to the kids.

and hooray for my first comment on your blog! I am a terrible friend :(

Natalie and Steven Seahorn said...

Congrats again! The ring is beautiful!!!

joyh said...

How exciting!!!! :) Somehow facebook did not inform me of this and I just now saw this post haha :) Congrats, Elizabeth!!! The ring is gorgeous- and I love the story!! And that you were so embarassed about not being "fixed up" for that special moment :) I remember I had just come from a Mexican restaurant w/some friends when Nick popped the question, and I kept thinking "Oh no- I smell like armpit and he's about to propose!!!!" Have fun with the planning- so happy for you! I figured this was coming soon :)