So, I've previously written about being on a budget and how it sorta sucks. On the flip side, my Banana Republic card can be paid off in full every month (btw, it is a BR Visa, to be used everywhere, not just their family of stores), I'm able to start replinishing my severely diminished savings account, and I'm finding out that I don't really need clothes nearly as much as I thought I did.
But, every now and again, there are things that really hit home about trying to save money. For instance, just flipping through a magazine makes me feel like I look like the mama of the Duggar clan and that my hair, clothing, shoes, accessories, make-up, and whatever else severely need an overhaul. Another example: this morning.
So, last night I made a huge pot of easy chili that I found on allrecipes.com (recipe to follow post). I've made this chili before with lots of praise from Wyeth, Joseph and, frankly, myself. It is SO tasty and really easy. Well, I made it last night so I could freeze a bunch and then throw it in the cooler when we go camping this weekend so we can have a good meal just by reheating. I had some leftover, so I poured it into a Gladware to take to work for lunch. Without insulting your intelligence with highly obvious foreshadowing, I'll cut to the chase...that shit leaked ALL IN my canvas bag I haul to work. I take this bag with me every day so I can have a book, lunch, and workout clothes should I opt for a last minute Bar Method class. It's also really helpful when I decide to run to Walgreen's or wherever at lunch...I can just stuff my purchases in there and haul them home.
Anyhow, I'm waiting for the bus and look down to see a wet spot spreading across the bag. I reach my hand in to see if it's my water bottle (fingers crossed...please be the water bottle...please be the water bottle) and pull out a hand covered in chili. I spent the rest of the bus ride smelling like beans and ground beef and highly embarrassed. Aside from the embarrasssment factor, my gym clothes and my copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance are chili-covered. I texted Joseph to tell him and the ever-helpful lad replied "I've definitely smelled worse things on the bus. Next time you should move seats at each stop so no one can pinpoint the smell." Sounds to me like someone's had a bout of g-a-s on the bus before, hmmm? Ok, I'm done now and as promised, here's the chili recipe, paraphrased.
Get a big pot and brown 1 lb. of ground beef in it. Add a diced white onion (small to medium) and stir until translucent. Add in: 1 can kidney beans, 1 can black beans, 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles, 1 can tomato sauce, 2 cups of water, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp. Tony's or other cajun seasoning, 2 tbsp chili/red powder. (May want to use less chili powder...I like my chili scorching hot.) Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for at least 20 mins. Serve!!!!
2 comments:
Yum! I've been trying to make more "real meals" lately b/c mint.com also made me realize my extreme eating out disorder! I didn't get to go to the store on sunday (since i was in blissful recovery mode) and now i'm all off this week when it comes to meal time! Ugh! Gonna have to try this chili!
The Duggar comment made my day. Chad and I had a budget meeting last night. Budget oh budget we hate you but we heart you at the same time.
Post a Comment