Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Great read


If you read Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, you will enjoy Committed. If you want to read about the history of marriage, or scientific studies of love, or what weddings are like throughout the world, or why so many marriages fail, you will enjoy Committed. This is an EXCELLENT book so far! Now, the subtitle is "A Skeptic Makes Peace With Marriage." I have no issues with marriage but I liked Eat, Pray, Love a lot and I think her writing style is hilarious. I think the book is great for everyone: married, engaged, single, dating, skeptical about marriage, thrilled about marriage, you name it. I'm only about a third of the way through, but here are my favorite quotes so far:

"The problem with infatuation, of course, is that it's a mirage, a trick of the eye - indeed, a trick of the endocrine system. Infatuation is not quite the same as love; it's more like love's shady second cousin who's always borrowing money and can't hold down a job."

"To this day, I refuse to burden Felipe with the tremendous responsibility of somehow completing me. By this point in my life I have figured out that he cannot complete me, even if he wanted to. I've faced enough of my own incompletions to recognize that they belong solely to me. Having learned this essential truth, I can actually tell now where I end and where someone else begins."

Enjoy, my little readers!!

1 comment:

Sara Singleton said...

Fun!
We read EPL when it first came out a few years ago in Bookclub... maybe i will suggest this be our pick for July :)