Tuesday, December 2, 2008

29 Days of Giving: Day 2

Day 2 of giving, I decided to make a donation to EARN, a San Francisco-based non-profit that I mentioned a few posts earlier. Their website describes their purpose as follows: "EARN breaks the cycle of poverty by matching the savings of low-wage workers and helping them invest in assets that build wealth, creating a cycle of prosperity across generations." I am so impressed with the way that this organization reaches out to those in low-income households, helps them set goals and save money, matches their savings, and then teaches them how to manage money, purchase a home, take out a loan, etc.

I am blessed to have been born into a family that was able to put me through private high school, pay for my college expenses, help me buy my first home and generally set me up for success. I'll admit I was self-centered and arrogant enough for a long time to look at my life and believe my family and I had earned it through hard work and dedication. I have worked hard, but the simple fact is that I was born with a leg up into the world of financial stability. I realize as an adult that I cannot and should not take credit for being financially sound; the accolades belong to my God, who gave me my supportive family, my intelligence, my desire to work, my job opportunities and everything else I have.

That being said, I thought EARN would be a great place to direct my giving today. For those who were born into less than desirable circumstances, or who made mistakes in life that led them to less than desirable circumstances, EARN can help them save money and teach them skills many of us learned much earlier in life.