Today's gift was something simple I should have given a LONG time ago. My Aunt Debbie has been asking me for a photograph of myself for her mantel for quite some time, and sadly I just haven't made it a priority until now. Every time we have a family function she tells me that she has photos over her fireplace of all of her nieces and nephews except for me. So I tucked a fairly recent photo of my sister and me into a card and told my aunt how much I enjoyed spending time with her over Thanksgiving and that I think of her often.
As most of you know, my aunt is a recovering drug addict and alcoholic and wasn't really around until the last 8 years. None of us are sure how many times she was in and out of rehab, but most guesses hover somewhere around 10+ times. Now that she's clean and sober, I know that building and maintaining connections with all of us is really important to her. With that in mind, I'm going to make an effort to e-mail her more often, as well.
1 comment:
Very sweet, especially now that you know what it feels like to be an Aunt! :)
Post a Comment