Friday, October 24, 2008

The B Word

I'm on a budget. And it sort of sucks. And it's all thanks to www.mint.com. Ever since I signed up for this website, it's really made me aware of my spending and the unnecessary expenses that overwhelm my list of transactions. I'm not proud of this but I'm also not as ashamaed as I should be: so far this month, even while watching things somewhat closely, I've spent over $1000 on eating, alcohol, shopping, and "personal care" (i.e. nails, hair, etc.). That is LUDICROUS.

Last week, I apparently aged like 20 years and began meticulously meal planning and couponing, due in large part to inspiration from one Emily C. Hayes. And let me tell you...that shit works! I spent a little over $100 at the grocery store, but have not paid for a single breakfast, lunch or dinner out in over a week and have food to last me through at least another 4-7 days for all meals. Now, the shopping and mani/pedis are things that just need to go. I am down to 2 pedicures per month, maximum, and no manicures since I can do my own nails fairly well. I'm done buying clothes until I get some Christmas money and Joseph is just going to have to deal with seeing the same stuff all the time (I finally got over my weird phobia and began repeating outfits in front of him some time in August. Which was a good move because apparently he cares about the repetition of my outfits about as much as he cares about how Star Jones lost all that weight or whether Madonna and A-Rod are going to have any kids together.)

Why am I torturing myself with this moderation, you might ask, when I will have to endure it without choice when I am married...the answer is simple: in a sick, sick, sick way it's kind of fun. Am I embarrassed to use coupons in front of the Chanel/Louis Vuitton/designer jean-clad girls who shop at my grocery store? Um YES. Am I embarrassed when people walk into the office kitchen to get a drink to go with their gourmet salad...and I'm heating up tater tot casserole? Yes, that would be another yes. Do I long to peruse the Banana Republic flagship store with the reckless abandon of 2 months ago? ABSOLUTELY. But at the end of the day, there's something nice about knowing that I made a bunch of crap in bulk over the weekend and all I have to do is go home, sit on the couch and watch Jeopardy with Wyeth, and reheat a full meal that's already made. It sure beats the hell out of my typical dinners since I moved here, such as 4 slices of lunch meat, instant mashed potatoes, and a 100 calorie pack of cookies. Not to mention, we all know how much I enjoy puzzles/mental quizzes and games, and this is pretty much just one big one.

1 comment:

Emilie H said...

ROCK ON SISTER! I figured out what I am going to do with the $35 I made selling my clothes,you will be super impressed. It is part of my preparation for election day.