So, I've heard several times since I moved here that I don't "look 27." (Side note: while I'd love to take that as a compliment, I'm more inclined to view it as a nice way of saying, "Um, dress your age and quit shopping at Forever 21!") I always say thanks, regardless of what people mean by it, and move on along with my day without giving it much more thought.
I was lying in bed last night, and for some reason I really started to think about it...I am 27 years old. I don't really dwell on my age that much, because I certainly don't "feel" 27. If I had to put a label on how old I feel, I'd say probably 23. I remember college like it was yesterday, but have put a little distance between it and myself. I feel like the world is full of things for me to learn (Cheesy? Yes.) and I feel like there are things I still don't know about myself, including what I want to do when I "grow up." I am blessed to still have a fair amount of energy, and moving here has certainly ramped up my desire to seek out new things, people, foods, and ideas. In those ways, and many others, I actually feel younger at heart than I did when I was 23. At 23 I had been working for almost 2 years, had a house, a serious boyfriend, did a lot of home improvement projects on the weekends, and went to Jazzercise with my mother.
In fact, there are only a few ways that I know I really am 27 years old. One of them is the increasingly uphill battle against a widening ass. It's not extremely difficult yet, but my metabolism does get sleepier every year. Another way is by looking through photographs at all of the awesome people and places that have come into my life over the past several years. Maybe the most convincing of all the ways I know I am actually 27 is how much I have grown up. Do I still laugh when I see people trip? Of course. Do I still go to the arcade here in town and purchase "fart whistles" with my tickets? Absolutely. Do I still dance around (badly) in my room to old school Michael Jackson? You betcha. But I have to say that I'm proud of most of the decisions I make these days, how I make them, how I deal with conflict, and how I communicate with people. That's a new development for me, and something that's come a long way since I was 21, 22, or even 25.
And on that note, I'd like to thank anyone who's reading this for your help in that! I believe that a huge part of why I'm able to look at who I am today and smile is the incredible, honest, loving, selfless, Christian women I've surrounded myself with since those days in college. You are all amazing, beautiful women and I love you and thank you for your patience with me and everything you have brought to my life!
I was lying in bed last night, and for some reason I really started to think about it...I am 27 years old. I don't really dwell on my age that much, because I certainly don't "feel" 27. If I had to put a label on how old I feel, I'd say probably 23. I remember college like it was yesterday, but have put a little distance between it and myself. I feel like the world is full of things for me to learn (Cheesy? Yes.) and I feel like there are things I still don't know about myself, including what I want to do when I "grow up." I am blessed to still have a fair amount of energy, and moving here has certainly ramped up my desire to seek out new things, people, foods, and ideas. In those ways, and many others, I actually feel younger at heart than I did when I was 23. At 23 I had been working for almost 2 years, had a house, a serious boyfriend, did a lot of home improvement projects on the weekends, and went to Jazzercise with my mother.
In fact, there are only a few ways that I know I really am 27 years old. One of them is the increasingly uphill battle against a widening ass. It's not extremely difficult yet, but my metabolism does get sleepier every year. Another way is by looking through photographs at all of the awesome people and places that have come into my life over the past several years. Maybe the most convincing of all the ways I know I am actually 27 is how much I have grown up. Do I still laugh when I see people trip? Of course. Do I still go to the arcade here in town and purchase "fart whistles" with my tickets? Absolutely. Do I still dance around (badly) in my room to old school Michael Jackson? You betcha. But I have to say that I'm proud of most of the decisions I make these days, how I make them, how I deal with conflict, and how I communicate with people. That's a new development for me, and something that's come a long way since I was 21, 22, or even 25.
And on that note, I'd like to thank anyone who's reading this for your help in that! I believe that a huge part of why I'm able to look at who I am today and smile is the incredible, honest, loving, selfless, Christian women I've surrounded myself with since those days in college. You are all amazing, beautiful women and I love you and thank you for your patience with me and everything you have brought to my life!
3 comments:
Hey Elizabeth!!! Ha, you are so funny saying im Volree's friend! I know you! :) Thanks for the verse!! I had to quote verses in my head going to sleep last night! This one will be great! Ya'll have fun this weekend!
Great post! I cannot WAIT to see you and am rather jealous of you getting a 3 day weekend with Vols and Sara!
ok, so seeing as I am a bit sensitive at this time of the month...it's ok that i just teared up reading that, right? :) I think you should write a book...it reminded me of the beginning of a Bridget Jones book! Minus the "5 lbs gained, 1 boyfriend, 1 day not smoking" tidbit she does.
Let me state that I'm so proud of how far you've come and grown in the past few years in so many facets of life! I only see you going up, up, up!!! (just don't float away and leave me on the ground! hehe! love you!
Brandi B.
Post a Comment