Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Back from Utah and not at all happy about that

*sighhhh* Utah was fabulous. I miss it already. First of all, my aunt and uncle's place there is incredible. I'm talking movie theater, wine cellar, hot tub, fireplaces in the bedrooms, knock-out view incredible. We didn't get in until pretty late on Friday, then woke up on Saturday and went grocery/liquor shopping and in search of a Wal-Mart. When we finally found one, we purchased a large tarp, tent stakes, and a sprinkler because they were fresh out of Slip 'N' Slides. So we made our own. TRES fun. After that we rode bikes (rather, I rode downhill and walked my bike/fat ass uphill). Then I made stuffed shells for dinner and we sat out on the back deck.

Sunday we made a big breakfast and headed to a ski resort called Snow Basin. We took the gondola up to the top of the mountain and hopped off to hike a 3 mile trail. I didn't make it. I mean, it was 90+ degrees in the Utah sun and mostly uphill. I drained my Camelbak and then sat down in the middle of the trail about 2 miles through and just cried. Luckily Joseph is the best boyfriend I could ever hope to find and he sat with me until I calmed down. Then we went back to the house and made an AMAZING Mexican feast. He is one awesome cook. We might have also made some strong margaritas, which may or may not have lead to me slicing my hand not once but twice while cooking. I was promptly removed from my station at the cutting board after that and relegated to stirring stuff that was already in pans. We also played a lot of Connect Four, Gin, and Speed. He had to get some shuffling lessons, too, because he never learned how.

Monday was easily the most fun day (for me). We rented a tandem kayak and drove it to Causey Reservoir and were out on the water for about 3 hours. It was breathtaking there. The views are just difficult to describe or capture in pictures. We parked the kayak at one point and got out to explore a little stream which ended up being gorgeous. (Side story: At one point I had to pee in the wilderness which I wasn't thrilled about. My initial thought was to just shove my toilet paper in my suit bottoms to flush somewhere later but then I realized I cared less about the environment than I did about toting peed-upon TP around, so I chucked it in the woods. After we jumped off some rocks later and were about to get back in the kayak, he asked if I needed any help. "Uh, no. I think I can manage. I mean, I'm pretty buff." To which he responded, "Yeah, you look like a total badass with that toilet paper hanging out of your butt." Yes, I had apparently only discareded part of it. Embarrassing but one of the funniest moments I've had in a while. He was kind enough to put it in his pocket but not before saying, "Yep, tough cookie, this one here.")

That night (our last night) we made steak, corn, potatoes, and salad and sat outside to eat while we watched the sun go down behind the mountains. We got in the hot tub for a while later but decided to get to bed early since we had to be up at 3:15 the next morning to catch our flight back. That was the only part that really sucked!

All in all, it was one of the most fun weekends I can remember having. We didn't turn on the TV once. It was just 3 days full of talking, sitting around, doing things together, and enjoying the peace and quiet. I'm hoping we'll get to take a similar trip some time soon! I'll try to put up some pictures later...I keep forgetting my cord!

No comments: