Today marked a huge milestone for me: I saw someone I know on the bus!!! In nearly 5 months of bussing around San Francisco, I have never run into anyone I know (except for Wyeth once, which totally doesn't count) so I got really excited. I think it finally made SF feel like home to know that I've met enough new friends to see one of them on public transit. Granted, I have a huge zit on my chin so I didn't say hi to him, but that's beside the point. :)
To any and everyone who has told me they were praying for me to make some new friends (this means you especially, Megs!), thank you. I definitely feel the effects and have met probably 15 new people in the past couple of weeks. And they're all awesome, kind, generous, considerate, and way too much fun. Most of them are guys, but that's okay for now. Eventually it'd be great to have a group of girls I can go to girly movies and get drinks with, but I am in no rush anymore and I know it will happen in time. I think guys are just a lot more open to making friends, and particularly female friends who might have single female friends. :)
Oh, one last thing...Bar Method update. Last night they made us use these miniature kickballs. I wanted to throw mine at our far-too-chipper instructor (as much as I like her). Picture this: you are on your highest tiptoe that you can manage. You have a mini kickball wedged between your upper thighs. Then you have to bend your knees as much as you can while holding onto the bar with one hand. At that point, you are instructed to do a 2-step move: squeeze the ball with your inner thighs and then squat an inch, and come back up. You have 30 of these. Then, you are instructed to lighten your grip on the bar, so you're holding it with barely your fingertips. Then the instructor comes around and taps the bottoms of your feet to make sure you're still on the tippy tip tip of your toes. And don't forget to tuck! Make sure you're tight all over. Pretend like you're holding a $1000 bill between your butt cheeks, ladies! Y'all, my legs were shaking like jell-o. You know in middle school when you had to do the flexed-arm hang for the Physical Fitness Test, and about 30 seconds in your whole upper body started shaking violently and uncontrollably? Yeah, those were my legs last night. On a positive note, my knees are looking much less doughy (and for anyone who knows me well, you know my knees, which resemble busted cans of Grands biscuits with a kneecap buried somewhere, are a huge concern of mine).
1 comment:
I hated the physcial fitness test. And at the time I hated President Reagan for making us do it. Picture it....Marietta GA, 1990 A rather plump Emilie. In a leg brace. Trying to run the mile around the make believe track (read: playfield) at West Side Elementary. I remember it was 11 laps and you had to pick up a stick for every lap you finished and take it to the PE teacher. I picked up two EVERY time on like lap 7 so I could finish in time.
Post a Comment