
This weekend was definitely one to remember. Sara and Volree were here to experience life in California and I think they got a pretty accurate picture. Friday we went to Pier 23 for drinks and they got to meet Joseph (finally) and then we went to dinner at Oola. After that, it was on to the Mission, courtesy of The Magic Man and his tricked-out car, for dancing at Blondie's and Bruno's. Kwesi and Ari showed up, which was nice. It's always fun when you're dancing to have some guys around you know you can trust! Saturday the girls when shopping then we all met up with Joseph and his friend Devon from Phoenix, and a bunch of other people, at R Bar to watch football and play dice. :)
Sunday was a gorgeous, long, picture-filled day. We started with brunch at Lime and then took BART to Golden Gate Park and laid in the grass for most of the afternoon and took way too many pictures. We walked over to a great sushi place for dinner, then headed to Encore for some karaoke. It had been 12 hours of fun, but was definitely time to call it a night.
I was really sad when my out-of-towners left on Monday. Really sad. Wyeth helped get me back in the right mindset with a piece of fried chicken, some sunbathing at Fort Mason, and watching Rain Man.
The first day back at work after a long weekend is always rough, but I had a great lunch! The SFMOMA is free the first Tuesday of every month, so I trotted over there on my lunch to see the Lee Miller exhibition. Guys, I had never heard of her until I read last weekend's newspaper, but her photography is as incredible and interesting as the life she led. Raped as a young child, she went on to become a high-fashion model in the 1920's and 1930's, and then became a professional photographer, shooting people like Charlie Chaplin, Salvador Dali, and Pablo Picasso. The next phase of her career was spent as a photojournalist during WWII and she has captured some truly beautiful, haunting images of victims of the Holocaust, fallen soldiers, and the liberation of concentration camps. This woman lived in New York, Paris, Egypt, and all over other parts of Europe during the war. She finally settled in England with her second husband and had one child. Apparently, after having her son, she quit taking pictures and her work was largely forgotten until her death, when her son found a collection of her work in cardboard boxes in her attic.
I was really impressed with the collection of photographs at the museum, both the pictures she took and the portraits of her. I'm really glad I went...it's always a great experience to hear about women who have a passion and the balls (for lack of a better term) to follow it.
No comments:
Post a Comment